Tuesday, 04 May 2021
Flu and COVID Vaccines update May 2021
Hi guys! We are getting a lot of queries in store about what’s happening with vaccines this year and certainly it is all over the media at the moment.
My team and I have been fortunate enough to be part of the second tranche offered the COVID vaccine, and it is something we are all very grateful for. Can report outside of a little pain in the arm ( equivalent to a ‘dead-arm’ back in the school yard..) everyone was good, and the crew at the immunisation centre at the old H&J Smith building were excellent and it ran like clock work - a huge thank you to them!
So as we move to the next stage of vaccinations… what now..It’s quite a fluid situation, and certainly the information is correct at the time of writing..some reccomendations and thoughts -
- Look at the data. Outrage over Facebook and Media reports are everywhere, but look at the data, and get your health information from trusted sources. If you have any concerns please ask us. I promise we will give you the most current, up-to-date information that we can access. I’m lucky enough to say that most of my family are already vaccinated - just waiting for my Mum and my daughter to be called up when the time comes.
- If you’re aged 65 years and over - get your flu vaccination NOW. We need to wait a minimum of 2 weeks between your Flu vaccination and COVID vaccination. Please encourage your family, friends and neighbours to come in store NOW. COVID vaccinations will start mid to late May for this group of the population which is why our recommendation is to get it today. At Roslyn Pharmacy you dont need to make an appointment, simply pop in store. Just remember that if you come alone you will need to wait in store for 20 minutes pos-vaccination and if you are accompanied with someone you need to wait only 5 minutes.
- From May the 17th the flu vaccination will be available to the rest of the population - however we are taking appointments from the 24th of May - please use this link to book a slot. This will be free for patients with chronic conditions - to see if you qualify please check https://www.fightflu.co.nz
- If you are a business and would like to request an on-site Flu vaccination- we can do this! - please call us or email us. Haley is in charge of the organisation of this service this year - She will be happy to help!
- We are doing our best to be able to offer the COVID vaccination to our community. We want to do our part in the biggest health initiative our country has ever had. It is so important that we get as many of our community vaccinated so that we can protect us all. There are a few steps for this to occur, and the first step is to ensure our vaccinators are trained. Josh, Christine and Tamu have all started this process now. From there our site needs be approved then the online booking system/portal will show Roslyn Pharmacy as an option as a place to get your COVID vaccination. This booking portal will be similar to do a booking system that you use to book flights. Due to storage conditions - its super important that we know how many people will be attending so none of the vaccine is wasted. If the thought of using an online booking system is a bit intimidating - please let us know - we can guide you through this process. (NOTE: its not live yet! Will let you know as soon as it is!)
News from India is so distressing. My brother who lives in Switzerland who just got fully vaccinated had his first coffee in a cafe last week since March LAST YEAR! We are fortunate to be in the situation that we are in - but its because we all bought in to science. To be able to administer these vaccines is an incredible privilege - stay tuned, lets all do our part and go get it!!
Andrew and the team :)